30-08-2014, 12:30 AM,
kaolincash
RE: rec the person above you.
yeah but, also the thing i said. srsly read it omfg

[Image: forumsig.gif]
30-08-2014, 12:36 AM,
Beware
If I get the time for it (and find a Turkish version because English books also make my brain hurt), I'm all down, m8.

>mfw there's a skeleton in many living creatures and under the ground we step on, waiting to rise back to life and conquer the lands we live on peacefully when the time comes
05-09-2014, 02:23 PM,
Pearlprince
try the oracle trilogy by catherine fisher
the oracle
the archon
the scarab

they're fantasy books and so good :)
no skellingtons though... but there is the afterlife
05-09-2014, 03:09 PM,
kaolincash
The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart
there's a lot of them but they are well worth it
read them in publication order:

Beyond the Deepwoods
Stormchaser
Curse of the Gloamglozer
Midnight Over Sanctaphrax
Last of the Sky Pirates
Vox
Freeglader
The Winter Knights
Clash of the Sky Galleons
The Immortals
The Nameless One

i promise you will get bored halfway through vox, but it is worth pushing through to get to Freeglader omfg

05-09-2014, 06:14 PM,
Rarity
hng I was going too recommend Skulduggery Pleasant but somebody already did. I will expand on it further though in saying that it is extremely well written, it has exactly the right balance between advancing the story and developing the characters (and wow, are they great characters), good humour, good drama, and a fascinating world.

I'll also recommend the Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke. I had the pleasure of meeting her when I was ten and getting a signed copy (and a personalized drawing!) and those books are really something else (She also wrote The Thief Lord and Dragon Rider). Inkheart is a book...about books. It's very difficult for me to sum up what this series is about without completely giving away the story, but. It is a series that definitely makes you reflect on the nature of writing, reading and existence in general.

But for the love of whatever deity or philosophy you hold dear, do not watch the movie. I think it's the Eragon movie's twin.
05-09-2014, 06:54 PM,
kaolincash
I recommend The Worst Witch series. They are very childish, as is the nature of the author Jill Murphy, but Jill is swell and lovely and everyone should read her books. I have a bunch of signed copies somewhere, with doodles and shit she did inside the cover. Jill lives down the street from where I used to live and I used her swimming pool a lot. I went to school with her son, Charlie, too. He's the only male human being i would marry if he asked me. He's perfect. He's so, so SO sweet and lovely and also the books are about witches so yea read them u nerds

05-09-2014, 07:16 PM,
TWLBOAJ
I adore the Pure Dead Magic books by Debbi Gliori. It's basically cyberpunk Scottish Addams Family, in all the best ways, and it's incredible how few people have heard of it. There are six books in the series (which is officially called The Strega-Borgia Chronicles but I don't dig that) that I'm aware of, and though they're a little dense, story-wise, they're super fun.

Also, Measle and the Wrathmonk by Ian Ogilvy was my favorite book as a morbid lil' baby gothling in elementary school. (Incidentally, Ogilvy is also an actor and played a role in I, Claudius in the way back when. He was pretty good, too.) Evil wizards, giant bats, donuts that turn you into plastic, a puppy, gigantic cockroaches, and a rain cloud that never, ever goes away all make appearances.

[Image: 17321902285830625341.png]
10-09-2015, 12:56 AM,
Draal
I would like to recommend the Wheel of Time series started by Robert Jordan and finished by Brandon Sanderson using Jordan's notes when Jordan died. It is a sort of Tolkien-esque type adventuring thing. It is of a respectable length, with 14 books in the series, each book being around 600 - 800 pages. I on book 13 so I am almost done but god damn did it take a while to read.

You got a group of all female magic using nerds that act as a sort of shadow government that everyone knows about but doesn't acknowledge. You got a bunch of fuckboys in the nobility. Such as one king who starts a war with a people with a hyper-elite completely martial society that people only know rumours about by cutting down a sapling that they gave him as a gift. You got one dude that has roaches bust out of his skin, there is one dude sorta ends up like Smeagol but with demon powers that make zombies and shit.

It starts off a little bit slow but picks up a good bit by the 2nd book.
10-09-2015, 10:46 PM,
kaolincash
Everyone above me needs to read American Gods by Neil Gaiman