the bone zone
lore questions/theories/rambling - Printable Version

+- the bone zone (http://bonezone.symphonum.com)
+-- Forum: Boneva (http://bonezone.symphonum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: AWESOME SKELETON HELL COLLEGE (http://bonezone.symphonum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: lore questions/theories/rambling (/showthread.php?tid=230)

Pages: 1 2

lore questions/theories/rambling - agent - 28-08-2014

first off, i love the lore. all about that shit. lore is my jam.

but i do have some questions because there is never enough lore. also i love learning about new types of undead animation. so tired of those fuckin zombies. actual real dead bodies can't start shambling around just because some virus did weird shit to the brain. get it together YA novelists.

though we're in an entirely different plane of existence and our marrow's dead, does health/growth still apply? is the mobility of the skeleton based on the spirit rather than atp? some sort of supernatural metabolism? or does the "currency of life" not apply around here? is this some higgs bonezon particle/field type shit?

mind you, i'm all about skeletons splinting fractures (or even replacing limbs entirely) with the bones of the fallen and fashioning awesome prosthetics with hidden weapons and storage areas for snacks. just curious if there's regeneration based on spirit strength.

and then, what should happen if the skeleton is completely destroyed? is the consciousness still attached to a skeleton if nothing remains but dust in the wind?

[Image: 76650568951593904857.jpg]

then there's growth plates and osteoporosis. assuming the skeleton is in possession of regenerative properties, couldn't those who died in adolescence/childhood still grow? then there's pituitary gigantism. obvs the CNS is at least partly intact because spines but i didn't see anything that said the brain remains in the skull and it wouldn't really make sense for the brain to remain at all anyway unless you entered skeleton hell with your flesh and innards falling to pieces which would be rad but skulls are sealed and i digress. would what remains of the CNS "remember" mutations affecting the skeletal system in life and manipulate the skeleton to adjust accordingly. conservation of mass either wouldn't apply (because alternate planes) or would be accounted for with higgs bonezon fields and particles. of course this means 'giants' would never stop growing but that would be awesome, if impractical. imagine giants on the battle field. fuckin rad.

speaking of size/height this is an alternate plane and there is no real standard of comparison to the human place, so how do we know we're still human sized? we could be massive compared to actual humans in their plane which could entail some interesting religious correlations with nephilim remains found in the human plane being actually former residents of the bone zone who invested in some poorly programmed gps systems. the article is one hundred percent legit trust me i once wrote a term paper.

[Image: 55179909627704424159.jpg]
we're gonna need a bigger shovel

also, is agitation's goth toilet paper bone bandage advertisement applicable to the lore? because that's awesome.

i'm sorry i just really love this stuff

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - kaolincash - 28-08-2014

You're thinking about this all wrong. What differs between the Human Realm and the Necrozoic Plane of Spiritual Disentanglement is that here in the bone zone we have no physical forms. We simply don't exist in a physical sense - we are unconstrained consciousnesses who BELIEVE we are manifesting in a physical form through the power of collective consciousness. The pre-existing lore informs the outcome of your experience, which informs the lore as it grows. This is the endless cycle of Maya, or Illusion.

So yes, your "body" can get splintered in battle if you believe it does, but that's where magic comes in. You can cast a spell, or have a spell cast on you, and the intention of the caster results in the manifestation of a "physical" result i.e. healing.

It takes an exceptional level of discipline to manipulate the collective consciousness, of course, as it's not just your personal perspective that is affected by your actions here; in order to perform powerful abilities you have to first convince the other perceivers that an event is occuring the way you intend it to. This is why pre-existing lore is so important; if everyone is on the same page, it applies limits that make deviations more interesting. If everyone could suddenly act with omnipotence things would get hecka messed up hecka fast.

Think back to my mention of "The Other Place", or "The Essence", from which Demons are summoned. That is a boundless realm of pure conscious energy.

The human realm is a conditioned realm of physical constraint where your mind is locked into a physical form (which, incidentally, is also an illusion but the sheer level of ignorance among humans renders it impossible to manipulate the world via consciousness alone - this is why humans can't just fly about everywhere. Nobody believes it's possible).

The Necrozoic Plane of Spiritual Disentanglement is a midpoint between the two. There is still a lot of ignorance here, but due to the KNOWLEDGE that it is some form of afterlife, a lot of that ignorance is lost and your mind is open to more fantastic ideas, giving birth to the possibility of magic and conscious manipulation.

The reason Demons are so powerful is because they are completely open to the boundless possibilities of mind-power, as they exist only in spirit with no physical form in their own world. When they are forced to manifest, they are able to shapeshift into any form and perform powerful magical feats that astound the likes of us, but are like breathing to them.

It is my belief that if it is possible for our consciousness to fade from this realm then we become unbound and join with the Demons, nigh limitless in our capabilities. The only limiting factor for Demons is the cultural beliefs in the context of the realm to which they are summoned; if you intend to summon an Imp and you believe Imps to be particularly weak, and everyone around the Demon believes that as well, then that particular spirit will be bound to the abilities perceived of Imps. This is why, in the Demon section of the Grimoire, it mentions there are more powerful, unnammed classes of Demon. In order to summon one, you just have to intend to summon one. The double-edged facet of this is that you also have to believe it's uncontrollable while also having faith in your abilities to harness its power, or you will be destroyed by it in its attempt to return to The Essence.

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - SinistARGH - 28-08-2014

so in layman's terms (aka words that only my shitty poo brain can comprehend) my skeltal revenant form is like my bonesona?

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - agent - 28-08-2014

oh my god okay i'm sorry i think i'm starting to understand? i couldn't let go of physical existence as a rule and assumed manifestation was a process of becoming physical. i was thinking of the alternate plane as something similar to a parallel universe, rather than what you're describing.. okay.

does this mean there is no matter or mass at all on this plane?? so in addition our "bodies," everything we believe we see (terrain, buildings, etc) are actually just an extension of this collective consciousness?

also, bonesonas. i like it.

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - SinistARGH - 28-08-2014

yer blowin my mind, bru

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - kaolincash - 28-08-2014

(28-08-2014, 06:14 PM)agent Wrote: oh my god okay i'm sorry i think i'm starting to understand? i couldn't let go of physical existence as a rule and assumed manifestation was a process of becoming physical. i was thinking of the alternate plane as something similar to a parallel universe, rather than what you're describing.. okay.

does this mean there is no matter or mass at all on this plane?? so in addition our "bodies," everything we believe we see (terrain, buildings, etc) are actually just an extension of this collective consciousness?

The planes are no different from one another, really, it's just a matter of ignorance. Human beings are born as shitty babies who don't understand what's happening to them, so they have no reference to a past experience and therefore assume the Human realm is the be-all-end-all of reality. Their ignorance regarding metaphysics prevents them from realising that all existence is illusion;

Ignorance leads to fabrication.
Fabricaton leads to form.
Form leads to becoming.
Becoming leads to birth.

The birth of a Human is a birth from ignorance, and we all experience this ignorance until we die and realise there was more all along. During our stay in The Necrozoic Plane of Spiritual Disentanglement we become seperated from the perception of our bodies and come to be able to harness consciousness as a collective.

As we are all here, conglomerating as one entity experiencing itself subjectively, we can work together to find out how to progress to the next stage. Of course, here in The NPoSD, there is no end to tribulation that we must strive to overcome, and this plane is just another trial on our journey to enlightenment.

As I mentioned before, it is my contention as a Necromancer and a scholar that our ultimate form is that of becoming one with The Essence, being endlessly invigorated by a realm of boundless peace.
I believe Demonology is the key to uncovering the truths, but as forcing form upon Demons is to cause them to suffer, it is difficult to gain their trust and respect and thus it is difficult to learn from them. They are often unwilling to teach us.

I have spoken at length with the Demon who killed me in the Human realm, a Djinni whose name I will not divulge at this stage for fear of her being summoned unnecessarily and, while I am unsure of our true standing with regard to one another, I believe she would tell me more about the metaphysics of The Other Place/Essence were she at liberty to. I believe she is reluctant to influence my personal spiritual journey, assuming it is possible to become one with The Essence. I suppose only time will tell.

In 'essence', I suppose, the simplest way to understand it is that there is only consciousness, there has only ever been consciousness and there will never be anything but consciousness. In any plane. Perception of this is a matter of one's level of spiritual understanding.

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - agent - 28-08-2014

dude

dude this is beautiful. thank you so much for explaining this more, it's such a foreign concept with some interesting implications!

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - kaolincash - 29-08-2014

Thank you for the opportunity to elaborate! I intend to keep The War Room updated with further lore installments, of course, so do stay tuned.

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - aesthetic - 02-09-2014

(28-08-2014, 05:01 PM)kaolincash Wrote: So yes, your "body" can get splintered in battle if you believe it does, but that's where magic comes in. You can cast a spell, or have a spell cast on you, and the intention of the caster results in the manifestation of a "physical" result i.e. healing.

It takes an exceptional level of discipline to manipulate the collective consciousness, of course, as it's not just your personal perspective that is affected by your actions here; in order to perform powerful abilities you have to first convince the other perceivers that an event is occuring the way you intend it to. This is why pre-existing lore is so important; if everyone is on the same page, it applies limits that make deviations more interesting. If everyone could suddenly act with omnipotence things would get hecka messed up hecka fast.

Spoiler:
I'm not sure if this is exactly consistent with the lore you have imagined, but this is my take on it. If there's anything that would make this fit in better, please let me know!
This principle is essential to the function of Skeleton Bards.

The force of will required to bend the collective consciousness is immense, and many necrozoic mages must spend a HELLA LONG TIME perfecting their art, achieving control over their inner selves and learning to manipulate the planar fabric. As a result, they become versatile casters capable of complex and intricate majjyks, but sacrifice "physical" training (as in the art of weaponry and strength, although nothing here is truly physical) in pursuit of spiritual strength.

Skeleton Bards do not undergo this magical training, and have time to spare on learning martial skills. Instead of casting spells, the Bards instead call upon magical songs of yore, practiced by those who came before, and by those who came before those who came before, and so on. Some say the Tulpae were instrumental in creating the first Bardic magic, as rather than performing an action and convincing others of the effects, the songs draw their power from their reputation. When a bard plays a song, they do not truly force the plane to comply with their actions, but instead call upon the residual planar memory of the song. The collective consciousness recognizes the song, and what its effects signify, and then makes it so, as that's how it should be, as far as the plane is concerned.

Example: A Skeleton Bard plays the Hymn of Calcium after their squad suffers some damage from a catapult. The series of notes corresponding to the song is recognized by the plane as the Hymn, and so the nearby skeletons should be regenerating the damage they have taken. But they aren't. So because the planar consciousness believes that the song's effect should happen, it happens, and the squad is back in the action in no time!

RE: lore questions/theories/rambling - kaolincash - 03-09-2014

That's almost exactly how I imagine it to work. It draws on the collective power of the bards themselves, throughout the ages, so theoretically the more bards that perform the songs the stronger the songs become.

However, given that the Necrozoic Plane of Spiritual Disentanglement has always been here, there was no beginning. There have always been bards performing all of the bard songs, and so the songs have reached maximum potential and are thus equally potent for all time.

The songs connect every bard in the infinite past and the infinite future and use their collective consciousness to perform an effect.
It's exactly the same as creating a Tulpic effect, but the bards of the past and the future have already created the effect in perpetuity and it can be called upon at any time.

This also means that at the point a new song is created, it is also created retroactively, and is always at the same power just like the other songs.
Memory implantation!